According to the Argentine Association of Dance Therapy (AADT) dance movement therapy (DMT) is "the therapeutic and / or psychotherapeutic use of movement and dance that seeks to favor processes of emotional, cognitive, physical and social integration". It is based on the principle of research on non-verbal communication, the psychology of human development and different systems of movement analysis; Likewise, in research that maintains that the way we move is the product of thought patterns, and that in the same way, different ways of moving and expressing ourselves through the body directly affect thought and emotions.
DMT originated in the United States in the 1940s by dancers and dancers who began to explore the therapeutic effects of dance and movement in neurotic and psychotic patients, in people with traumas and with organic or mental illnesses . It arises from the meeting of two disciplines: psychology and modern dance.
Some of the most important references are Marian Chace, Trudi Schoop, Lilian Espenak, Mary Whitehouse, among others.In DMT, movement is considered the unit of analysis, as is the word in verbal psychotherapies. The axis of the work is that those who consult become aware of their own movement patterns and at the same time find a space that invites the development of new patterns and creative exploration through the body. In this way, conditions of availability are generated so that the repertoire of body movements is expanded, thus also expanding the thought patterns and the range of emotional experiences that can be experienced. This therapeutic approach is aimed at both children and adults of all ages. It is beneficial both for people with various disabilities or pathologies and for those who want to deepen their knowledge of themselves, have the need to heal traumas, deal with losses, go through challenging transitions or changes, or specific events of each stage of the life cycle .
Basics of DMT:
* body and mind interact as a unit, and a modification in any of them influences the whole person;
* Movement is a process loaded with symbolism, which makes it possible to easily reflect unconscious processes;
* the body is a record of marks that cannot be expressed by the word, or that require a non-verbal approach prior to the appearance of the word;
* creativity and art in movement allow experimenting with new ways of being and being in the everyday world;
* a safe space and the careful accompaniment of the therapist dance favor the exploration of the internal world of the consultant and personal expression;
* The therapeutic group space allows us to explore new ways of bonding and creating bonds with characteristics different from those we know;
Benefits of DMT
* increased self-confidence;
* learning about how to regulate compulsive thoughts and emotions that they generate discomfort;
* increased sensory perception and registration of body processes and
* awareness of one's own resources for general well-being and
development of new resources;
* increased body dexterity;
* exercise of bonding skills;
* breathing education;
* relaxation work;
* development and exploration of creativity;
* allows questioning and rethinking acquired behavior patterns;
* explore the internal world and how to connect with the internal world;
* physical, emotional or mental changes resulting from movement work, actions, emotions and thoughts.